Hazardous Waste/ Hazardous Materials
Versar provides a wide range of services related to hazardous materials and hazardous waste management, from permitting support to compliance with the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA); and from emergency response training to hazardous waste facility decommissioning.
Versar provides strategic regulatory services to our clients to ensure compliance with the complicated RCRA hazardous waste standards and requirements. Specific service areas include: permit application development (Parts A and B); permit review; regulatory negotiations; professional engineer certification of permitted modifications and corrective actions; and implementation/certification of closure plans.
Other services routinely provided by Versar related to RCRA compliance include:
- Clean closure sampling and certification for treatment units at regulated facilities
- Part A/B permit application support to consolidate multiple permits at a complex federal facility
- Facility hazardous waste audits with management action plans
- Revisions of existing permits to add storage units at a permitted facility
- Contingency plans for generators of hazardous waste
Emergency Planning And Community Right-To-Know Act (EPCRA) Support
There are four major provisions of EPCRA:
- Emergency Planning (Sections 301 – 303)
- Emergency Release Notification (Section 304)
- Hazardous Chemical Storage Reporting (Sections 311 – 312)
- Toxic Chemical Release Inventory (Section 313)
Versar provides a variety of services that relate to EPCRA requirements:
- The development of integrated contingency and emergency response plans (including Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures [SPCC] plans and related plans for effective emergency response)
- • Risk management plans prepared under the authority of section 112(r) of the Clean Air Act) and often for extremely hazardous substances
- Toxics Release Inventory Chemical Release Reporting Form R/Form A
- Chemical inventory development and database applications tracking
- Interactions with local emergency planning commissions and state emergency response commission officials, fire departments, and other first responders regarding incidents involving chemical spills, explosions, or other safety hazards to public health and the environment.
Environmental Training Programs
For many of our clients, we provide multiple-day training classes on environmental compliance and awareness in the areas of:
- SPCC and facility response plans
- RCRA hazardous waste management
- Storm water pollution prevention plans (SWPPP) and national pollutant discharge elimination system (NPDES) discharge reporting
- Air operating permit compliance
- Toxics management
- Above-ground storage tank (AST)/underground storage tank (UST) compliance
- Department of Transportation (DOT) / Hazardous Materials Transportation Act
Versar can provide assistance with every conceivable element of environmental training for your staff, in your schools or workplace, and as part of a public outreach program. Versar has provided training support for government and private sector clients for many years. We developed a complete RCRA training program for one of our Air Force customers. We have compiled a set of environmental awareness videos and prepared self-directed training and learning materials for a web-based training approach. To help our customers define specific training needs, we may conduct an assessment of facility-wide environmental safety and occupational health training needs to establish a baseline of training programs, content, resources, and documentation. Our trainers will work directly with you to establish training requirements, objectives, and certification needs, and can customize a curriculum that works for you.