At Versar, we start with value. Our philosophy – whether performing a complex air regulatory review or developing a more standard emission reduction strategy – is to find value for our clients so they can save money and grow their business.
Today's air regulations directly affect how you do business – in some cases even attempting to dictate which products you can make or materials you can process, how you can make them, how much you can produce, and how often you can operate your facility. Air regulations also can affect how often you can train or repair or whether you can add a new source at your facility. Unfortunately, compliance with existing and new air rules is now a significant cost of doing business.
In addition, public and private enterprises worldwide who want to maintain a sustainable future need to determine their greenhouse gas/carbon emission practices for control or reduction. They also are looking for long-term market and potential value that can result from smart action and investment today.
At Versar, we approach air and greenhouse gas (GHG) areas much like other environmental areas – with long-term value in mind. Our services enable clients to incorporate knowledge management into operational decision-making and risk management, which add value to the bottom line. Therefore, we strive to find value in all air, GHG, or carbon issues from the start so our clients can:
- Achieve operational cost and risk reductions
- Obtain any credits due and understand their market value
- Meet reporting requirements and ensure future compliance.
Strategic Business Planning
Versar integrates our air services into a strategic business-planning package for your organization:
- Planning to relocate? Have you looked at air and related regulations at your proposed new location? Sometimes air/related regulations can be showstoppers with respect to relocating to a new facility.
- Planning a new piece of equipment? Sometimes new equipment can cause you to exceed existing emission limits. Proper planning is needed.
- Shutting down a piece of equipment or a location/plant? You may be able to obtain credits for the shutdown or substitute other equipment.
Air Inventory Services and Reporting
Almost everything related to air compliance or GHG starts with an inventory of some sort. A poorly performed or documented inventory leads to major problems in reporting and compliance. Versar provides complete emissions inventory services including proper compilation and reporting of inventory data. Versar’s reporting services include the following:
- State-specific emissions reporting. We tailor your data to state reporting systems.
- Development of state emission statement reports in a format that is accepted by the state, which saves time and money.
- Versar prides itself in a quality-driven inventory process, one with built-in checks and rock-solid field collection and data interpretation.
Air Compliance & Permitting
We provide complete Title V and other permit or New Source Review (NSR) services:
- Title V & state air permits including full supporting calculations
- Federally enforceable state operating permits
- Emissions offsets, emission credits, and trading scenarios.
Versar helps our clients avoid more costly emission control or engineering solutions through prudent planning and strategic thinking. However, should they be required, we can conduct the following services:
- Energy-based emission solutions including LEED and its relationship to air quality
- RACT/BACT/LAER analysis
- MACT compliance strategies
- Specialized combined heat and power (CHP) opportunities/applications
- Toxic/hazardous air pollutant controls.
GHG-Greenhouse Gas Assessment and Inventory Services
Versar follows the latest reporting requirements and systems such as the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, the Climate Registry, EPA’s Climate Leaders Registry, and various California reporting requirements and protocols.
Our GHG inventories are crafted with the following key principles in mind:
- Completeness. Versar inventories account for all GHG emission sources and activities within your chosen inventory boundary
- Consistency. Versar’s methodology is consistent to allow for meaningful comparisons of emissions over time.
- Transparency. The Versar team conveys all relevant issues and assumptions in a clear, factual, and coherent manner.
GHG and Carbon Reduction Strategies
Many channels exist to provide GHG or carbon reduction. Versar brings these channels together in an integrated approach to reduction through the following means:
- Energy services, including audits, measurement, and verification designed to provide efficiency savings, thereby reducing emissions
- Sustainable design, including LEED certification
- Green procurement strategies that start reducing GHG and carbon emissions on Day One of a contract
- Effective retro-commissioning of buildings leading to GHG or carbon reductions
- Analysis of renewable or “green” energy sources.
Following these kinds of strategies allows you to achieve reductions while maximizing the value and sustainability of your facility assets.
Financial Planning: Carbon
Finding financial value in GHG or carbon-related issues is critical to providing bottom-line value to you. Versar finds this value through many methods, such as:
- Emission reduction credits that leads to credit generation and credit value
- Identifying monetary value of any reductions in GHG or carbon
- Identifying potential buyers
- Identifying mechanisms to allow for certification of the sale
- Reduction in energy consumption on the front end, allowing for GHG reductions on the back end.
A comprehensive financial strategy, with reduction or avoidance as an integral part, reaps benefits and creates a non-traditional revenue source for your business.